Thursday, July 3, 2014

Angels


I want to talk about angels.  Some believe once we pass from this earth we become an angel.  Others believe loved ones who've passed away become their guardian angel, always looking over them.  Most believe in the standard idea that the roles of angels include protecting and guiding human beings, and carrying out God's tasks. 

This is my story of how I had the unique chance meeting of someone I consider one of my angels. 
 
After I came home from my rehab stay my in laws came to visit us towards the end of May.  One Sunday morning my father in law said he would take me and my oldest son, Carson, to the park.  I had not been outside for a few days, and was looking forward to being out in the sunshine. 
 
I put on my required safety helmet, picked up my cane and the three of us headed to the park, ready to enjoy the beautiful day outside.  My two year old ran about joyfully as his grandfather chased after him, to keep an eye on him.  I did my best to keep up, but it was still a struggle to walk.
 
A little boy was watching me, and finally approached me and asked if I had hurt my leg.  Not knowing how to explain the affects of a stroke to young child, I simply said "yes, I hurt my leg and was learning to walk again."  He seemed to accept this answer as he nodded his head in understanding. 
 
During the conversation my son and father in law had gotten pretty far from me.  I was already tired and running out of steam.  I spotted a nearby bench where a couple was sitting, and asked if they minded if I join them.  They happily made room for me on the bench.  The man sitting there said that I looked familiar to him, and asked me if I had recently been in an accident. 
 
He mentioned I looked like someone who he had transported several weeks before.  My immediate thought was to connect transport with an ambulance.  I asked him if he was an EMT and he said yes, he drove an ambulance.  That’s when it clicked for both of us.  He was the driver of the ambulance that took me to St. Dominics Hospital the day of my stroke. 
 
We spent several minutes talking and I told him about my recovery, and how thankful I was to be alive, and be at the park with my son.  Soon it was time to go home, and I thanked him for his part in saving my life. 
 
The opportunity to actually meet someone who participated in my care really got me to thinking about how we communicate with everyday people throughout our lives.  Be it the lady working the check out at the grocery store, the neighbor across the street, the bank teller etc.  We sometimes forget the people around us are just like us.  They each have a story, struggles, hardships, and triumphs. 
 
It's easy to get caught up in the doings of our own little worlds, but I think it's good to stop and reflect how we interact with others.  That day sitting on the park bench, I could have allowed my struggles, my tiredness, and my frustrations of dealing with the effects of my stroke come to the forefront, and been rude to that man who began asking me questions.  We are all guilty of taking out these feelings from time to time on perfect strangers, and we have all been the recipient of someone doing the same thing to us. 
 
That "chance" meeting with my ambulance driver really made think about how small the world really is, and how a simple act of kindness, be it a smile, or helping someone with a simple task can completely change their day, and even if that comes from a stranger it can make people feel cared for, and brighten their day. 
 
There's a scripture that says "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."  Be kind to others, you never know....one day they may be the angel who helps you, guides you, or ministers to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment