Friday, July 11, 2014

Five Things I've learned Since Having My Stroke


Patience- I’ve almost grown to hate this word.  I don't want to wait; I want things now.  The reality is that good things come to those who wait.  This journey has tested every fiber of my being.  Time is both a healer and my enemy.  I need it to get better, but I have to endure the long days; some with no progress, others with great strides.
 
 Determination- This is a big one.  I really cannot give up.  If I did, that would mean giving up on Scott and my boys, and that is not an option.  I wake up every day ready to tackle this beast. 

  Love- I've told Scott numerous times that while I may have been on the brink of death as I waited for a bed to open for me at a nearby hospital; I didn't slip away because of him.  I couldn't leave him a widow.  We are both in this for the long haul.  He always assures me that I will not walk this path alone.  He will be by my side holding my hand the entire way.
 
 Inner Strength- This is something I never knew I had.  Actually, we all have it; we just may not realize it until we are put through test.  I'm sure we all have small things we want to tackle; whether that's losing weight, quitting smoking, or having the courage to change jobs.  Look deep within yourself, it's there I promise.  Just remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.  I want to encourage others to take the challenge, and opportunity to take the necessary steps to better your life and become happy and whole.
 
 Gratitude- There are so many things I am grateful for.  Honestly, I'm just grateful to wake up every morning and be alive.  I'm grateful for my friends who have rallied together to support me.  I'm grateful for Scott for everything he does for me, and I'm grateful for my family for helping me in this time of need.  It makes me happy to know that I don't need material things to make me happy.  I'm happy just because.  I read a book once that stated there are three types of people; those who live in the past, those who live in the future, and those who live in present.  I choose to live in the present; it is a gift, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment