Thursday, July 3, 2014

My Rollercoaster Ride


I am adventerous by nature.  I've done everything from climbing trees, tackling the pool high dive, water skiing, to bungee jumping over the coast of Florida.  Growing up in Texas I spent many summers at Six Flags.  My favorite thrill ride were the rollercoasters.  The bigger and faster, the better!

After my stroke, I would find myself on the biggest rollercoaster of my life.  I can't say it was a fun thrill, but it has definitely been a challenge and my progress during my recovery the thrill. 

After my initial hospital stay and surgery I was admitted to an inpatient therapy facility. I had severe left neglect-paralysis and my balance was very bad.  The facility became the beginning of my rollercoaster ride.  I can't say I felt the same excitement as when I was at Six Flags, but I can say I felt determined. 

My therapist set small goals for me to reach for.  One of these goals was to be able to sit on the side of the bed without falling over.  Seems a simple task doesn't it?  It had become a difficult taks for me being that I did not have full movement or control on my left side.  I've often heard others say "It was so hard to get out of bed this morning."  My physical abilities had reduced that statement to a truth for me. 

The rehab facility had some incredible devices to help people just get out of bed. I'll try to describe the one used to help me.  Imagine a parachute attached to a harness, and me in the harness hovering over my bed.  The nurses would use this to move me from the bed and into my wheelchair. 

During my stay at the rehab, I once had asked a nurse aide to help me go to the bathroom.  She asked me if I could walk, and I told her I could.  Only when I tried to stand (with her assistance) my legs became like jelly.  She positioned me back into my wheelchair and said "I thought you said you could walk."  I told her that at one time I could walk, it was just I had not realized I no longer could.

I didn't want a parachute ride just to get me out of bed.  I didn't want to rely on someone, on anyone to help me go to the bathroom.  I wanted my independence back.  I determined I would become the best rehab patient the therapist had ever seen.  I worked hard to get my body to do the simplist tasks. 

In time I finally got to the point I no longer was dependent on the parachute and harness device.  I was so happy I had outgrown my rehab roller coaster ride.  I could stand on my own and pivot my body.  I really enjoyed showing my "newly" learned skills to my nurses and therapists.  My balance was improving, and I soon began to take steps.  It was a struggle just to place my feet.  It was hard, but I continued to strive forward and take each new small goal and turn them into triumps one by one. 
So, that's one "ride" that was over.  My memories of visits to Six Flags came to mind and I recalled how the rollercoaster operators would say at the end of the ride "Ladies and gentlemen please unbuckle your safety seatbelts and exit to the left."  What's left? I will explain my issues with left neglgect in an upcoming blog.

1 comment: